THE TEATRO REGIO OF PARMA
The beating heart of the capital city of the "Country of Melodrama", the Teatro Regio of Parma is one of the most beautiful Italian theaters, therefore, by definition, one of the most beautiful in the world. The elegance of the stuccos, the harmony of proportions, the perfect acoustics and the prestigious history, with the greatness of the artists who for almost two hundred years have trod its scenes, the incomparable charm of Parma, city of music, and its deep and indissoluble link, among others, with Giuseppe Verdi, Arturo Toscanini and Niccolò Paganini, all this represent a heritage of absolute value, with a potential for development that has few comparisons.
In origin New Teatro Ducale, born by will of the duchess Maria Luigia of Habsburg-Lorraine, wife of Napoleon, sent to rule the Duchy of Parma, Piacenza and Guastalla after the Congress of Vienna, the building of the Teatro Regio di Parma began in 1821 on a project by the court architect Nicola Bettoli.The Theatre was inaugurated on May 16,1829 with Zaira, an opera expressly composed by Vincenzo Bellini on a libretto by Felice Romani. Since its opening, the Teatro Regio of Parma is witness and actor of the crucial events that changed the melodrama during the nineteenth century and twentieth century from the end of the Rossini era to the supremacy of the Verdi repertoire, from French and German experiences to the extreme evolution towards realism of Italian opera with Mascagni, Leoncavallo and Puccini. It has seen voices and artists become legends of melodrama, among others, Maria Callas, Montserrat Caballé, Rosanna Carteri, Mirella Freni, Raina Kabaivanska, Magda Olivero, Katia Ricciarelli, Renata Scotto, Renata Tebaldi, Fiorenza Cossotto, Carlo Bergonzi, José Carreras, Franco Corelli, Mario Del Monaco, Giuseppe Di Stefano, Alfredo Kraus, Luciano Pavarotti, Renato Bruson, Piero Cappuccilli, Leo Nucci, Sesto Bruscantini, Boris Christoff, Nicolai Ghiaurov, Ruggero Raimondi, Cesare Siepi.